One of Kirk’s friends has had a lot of success with self-publishing a book on Amazon. Early To Rise hit #1 on Business Leadership for Kindle. Yet, Andy has been hearing things…things that aren’t from God. Andy is very honest in sharing about what “resistance” has been saying to him in his success.
His article got me thinking about how I, and moms in general, meet resistance (or the enemy) ALL THE TIME.
When someone gives you a compliment about your children, or your parenting, does your brain do this?:
- “You don’t know how many times I’ve yelled at the kids this week!”
- “You haven’t seen my house.”
- “Please children, don’t act up now!”
- “I bet my kids have had more screen time than yours!”
- “Yeah, I homeschool, but I wonder if they might be better off elsewhere.”
- “I’m an emotional roller coaster, and I’m taking my children with me.”
- “Actually, I’m just hoping they make it through and won’t need a ton of counseling!”
- “If you only knew…”
- “Wait 5 minutes.”
I don’t know, maybe it’s just me, but why do I hear negatives when someone compliments me? Could it be that the enemy of our souls wants us to hear such things? Could it be that that is true especially if we are doing what we are supposed to be? Could it be that he is the “father of lies”? Sure, we make mistakes and sin creeps in as we raise these little ones, but a lack of encouragement only leaves us in despair. A lack of encouragement does NOT make us better parents. Could it also be that we rehearse these things day in and out which only reinforces the lies and actually assists the enemy in his work?
I’m here to tell you and me some TRUTH:
- The job you are doing is IMPORTANT!
- You are making a difference.
- God is pleased with your commitment and love to your kiddos.
- Parenting isn’t easy!
- Yes, you screw up, but have you listed 10 things you’ve done well today?? List them…out loud…often!
- God is not rehearsing your faults. Go to Him and hear the victory He has already given you in Him!
- You are more than a conqueror and you are created in Christ to do good works! (Romans 8:37, Ephesians 2:10)
- As you abide in Christ you WILL bear MUCH fruit. (John 15:5…my life verse)
- Rest. God didn’t invent Pinterest. He doesn’t expect your life to look like it.
- Simplify. Your children WILL have learning gaps and some insecurities and errors in thinking…it isn’t all because of you, and they will be just fine! You don’t have to fix it all.
Thanks for the reminder, Andy!
Be encouraged as you invest in the amazing work of your children,
Disclaimer: Links to Amazon are affiliate links in which I’ll receive compensation for any purchases made.